Sunday, June 5, 2011

New Window

Yesterday, Leon and Lorena tore out one of the old windows in the living room and installed the new one. We put in a shorter window and then an air conditioner below that. That way if we are not using the air conditioner and want to open the window, we can. Now my job is to figure out how I want it trimmed and finish it out.
The great thing about doing things yourself is you are not limited by someone else and their ideas or time table. It is taking us longer to get everything finished than it would if we would have hired someone. But we are enjoying the learning process and I love the smell of freshly cut wood! I have learned how to use several power tools and I have researched and found things like milk paint, soy gel, and citrus solvent. Great alternatives to the harmful paint strippers and thinners out there. The soy gel strips paint, varnish, and other finishes without any harmful fumes. You can use it inside the house. I tried it on one of the leaves of our dining table and it works great. After I get the table stripped I plan on refinishing it with pure tung oil. I remember my dad made some oak cabinet doors with a hand-rubbed finish. They were beautiful! With a tung oil finish, you can easily fix any dings or scratches by rubbing more oil into it. Check out the website here! Real Milk Paint
Anyway, I love my new window and I can't wait till we get the rest of them put in the old part of the house!

No comments:

Post a Comment